Host a “Dark Side of Chocolate” screening
Is the chocolate we eat produced with the use of child labor and trafficked children? The award winning Danish journalist, Miki Mistrati decides to investigate these rumors in the film, The Dark Side of Chocolate.
Gather friends and community together to watch this powerful documentary! Use the sample program and resources below to create an evening of social activism. It’s totally easy and anyone can do it (a great activity for teens!).
Fair Trade Judaica can provide you with everything you need to create an interesting and inspiring program!
Sample Program and Resources
- Schmooze and nosh on Fair Trade Kosher chocolate and beverages
- Screening of “The Dark Side of Chocolate”, a short documentary on child labor in the cocoa industry
- Discussion about the film and making connections between Jewish values and fair trade principles
- To find a speaker, contact Fair Trade Judaica
- Advocacy Activity
- Send a letter to Hershey (developed by Green America) asking them to start sourcing Fair Trade cocoa beans
- Fair Trade Kosher Chocolate tasting
- List of Fair Trade Kosher chocolate and beverages
- Ask for donations from local stores
- Handouts for participants. Educational Resources available on our website include: (PDF downloads)