Fair Trade Shabbat 2018
Fair Trade Shabbat May 11-12, 2018. We Can Help Your Community Find the Best Ways to Celebrate!
Fair Trade Shabbat is an initiative of Fair Trade Judaica, to educate Jewish communities about the connection of Jewish values and fair trade principles. We are excited to partner with the Rabbinical Assembly, which is promoting Fair Trade Shabbat through the Conservative Movement.
Easy but Effective: These simple ideas are a great place to start:
- Offer a special prayer for Fair Trade Shabbat by Rabbi Deborah Silver
- Offer a D’var Torah linking fair trade with Parshat Behar-Bechukotai (see our NEW resource sheet)
- Check out our NEW Erev Shabbat Activity Menu for a home gathering
- For Oneg Shabbat and Kiddush:
- Make a L’chaim with Fair Trade vodka and other spirits
- Read from the Torah with a new fair trade made Torah yad
- Celebrate with a new fair trade made challah cover
- Add a special prayer from T’ruah for bringing justice to the world
Prayer for Human Rights/World Fair Trade Day
Taking Action for Justice: A Human Rights Prayer
Focus on Fair Trade: Resources to help you educate your community in meaningful ways
- Discuss the Top 10 Reasons to Support Fair Trade (NEW)
- Organize a chevruta or group Torah text conversation/discussion using our Jewish Values and Fair Trade Principles sheet or Fair Trade and Human Rights piece
- Add a special prayer before eating Fair Trade Food
- Invite someone from the Fair Trade movement to speak about its positive impact on farmers and artisans. Possibilities include Fair Trade Towns if your city is involved or owners/staff of a Fair Trade store. Please contact Tamara at Fair Trade Judaica if you would like assistance in identifying someone in your community to speak
- Show “The Dark Side of Chocolate”, a documentary focusing on child trafficking and labor in the cocoa fields in the Ivory Coast. This would make a great Havdalah event with a fair trade chocolate tasting!
Celebrate Fair Trade: Fun activities for the community, especially children and teens!
- Make this NEW recipe for fair trade chocolate coffee pistachio bark
- Host a Fair Trade Chocolate tasting with guides from Divine Chocolate and Equal ExchangeFair Trade Spa Night (NEW)
- Play MadLibs (NEW Shabbat friendly version)
- Fair Trade Trivia Game (NEW)
- DIY fair trade Spa recipes (NEW)
- Fair Trade Heads Up Cards Activity (NEW)
- Fun fact sheet for kids and adults to look at and discuss at home (NEW)
Resources from previous years
- Fair Trade Shabbat 2016 Sermon from Carole Baden of Congregation Netivot Shalom
- R. Ed Bernstein’s 2015 drash on Parshat Emor, “Sanctifying the Divine Name through Chocolate and Coffee”
- How congregations have celebrated Fair Trade Shabbat